instruction / assistance
REASONS YOU MIGHT NEED A DESIGN COACH
YOU ARE TIRED OR ANNOYED OF THE TIME SPENT TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THE DIGITAL TOOL YOU WANT TO USE ON YOUR OWN.
YOU WORK BETTER BEING ABLE TO ASK QUESTIONS IN THE MIDDLE OF A DEMONSTRATION.
YOU HAVE FOUND D.I.Y. TO BE A DEAD END.
YOU MIGHT BE CURRENTLY ENROLLED IN AN ONLINE OR IN-PERSON COURSE, BUT ARE COMPLETELY LOST BECAUSE THE TEACHER GOES TOO FAST, DOESN'T EXPLAIN, OR DOESN'T HELP YOU.
YOU HAVE SWITCHED PLATFORMS OR CAREERS, AND NEED A LEG UP ON THE MAC PLATFORM OR DIGITAL SOFTWARE (mac or pc)
WHAT IS A DESIGN COACH?
move from frustration to
competency and joy
years of using and teaching the digital tools, makes me equipped to help solve your digital dilemmas
WHY COACH VAL?
1. An EDUCATOR. Most people teach the way they were taught and never really stop to think about the instruction method or the needs of the student. I have spent a significant portion of my career focused on becoming a better educator with conferences and even leadership training. Understanding that active learning has better retention and that most attention spans cannot last hours on end, I respect your time and your goals. I have spent so many hours in teaching digital tools, I have lost track, but I because of this I have transformed my methodology based on the needs of students from diverse backgrounds and skill sets from novice to comfortable.
2. A CRITICAL THINKER. I have a unique mindset that balances analytical and creative approaches. I consider myself a lifelong learner and I'm able to help distill information sometimes that seems disparate into a connected pattern. I am able to ask you the right questions to be able to find your best solution. We have a conversation about what you are trying to accomplish and I can show you the digital tool pathway to that goal.
3. A PUZZLER. Some of my friends call me this and another one refers to me as a Swiss army knife. I love puzzles. My brain really enjoys problem-solving so helping you in your time of need from learning a new Mac platform, to web design using a program like Wix, to the digital tools primarily the Adobe Creative Suite is a unique opportunity because I get to see how others are using the programs and how best to solve the problem to make you efficient and enjoy your time using the tools.
4. An ADVOCATE. I have been working with people basically my whole life. I was a day camp counselor in high school and a writing tutor in college. I was a girl scout through silver award and then a leader for 5 years after undergraduate school. I have spent more than two decades working with people. My roles as a professor at small schools involved advising and coaching. I developed a portfolio course and assisted students in the bridge between college and career in assessing goals and skills all the way to creating a portfolio. I think about students, their work, and if I have ideas for them I will communicate those.
5. A Designer. I started using computers around the time the Mac was introduced. Way back when, I took a computer programming class and knew that it wasn't for me and eventually ended up using the computer as a tool instead of programming it. What I can do really well is teach people the tool rather than rattle off a series of commands. I have been using Adobe products since their inception. The tools are always changing and I'm by no means considered an Adobe certified trainer, but I understand the ins and outs in a way that I can convey to the everyday person not just techies. I know how to find out the answer to your question if I may not have it on the tip of my tongue. I may be able to show you workarounds and short cuts to achieve your goals.
SOME PEOPLE JUST HAVE A PRESSING QUESTION AND NEED A PERSON ON CALL TO ASK. WE CAN MEET FOR UP TO AN HOUR IN A VIDEO CONFERENCE, SHARING SCREENS ON MY END OR YOURS.
You have a pressing need and specific project you want to tackle. Maybe you are working on your friends website and need to understand photoshop and uploading. Maybe you are a photographer adept at photoshop but really want to learn Illustrator or InDesign. Maybe you've taught yourself some of the programs and you want some tips and tricks or an assignment. We can work together in increments of time. When you run out of time, we can assess how much more time you may need.
10 hours instruction/video conference
Maybe you have a project or you are starting a new job and just need someone to talk to to walk you through your dilemma. From switching platforms or hitting a road block in a specific task you've been assigned, you can reach out to make an appointment at the moment. We will set up a time to talk as soon as we can and your time will be deducted as you go. This includes a 30 minute introductory video call to understand the situation and what you'll need in our coaching call.
On Demand - $100 includes 30 minute intro and approximately an hour and a half of talk time which could be 15 minutes or longer depending on your question.
Each additional 1.5 hr blocks are $75.
Monthly - $500 includes 30 minute intro and a regular check in via email to see what your needs may be for the week. Top priority in scheduling and response time to inquiries. This includes up to about 2 hours of training, troubleshooting, q/a, and demos per week for 4 weeks (or until you use up the total hours, which ever comes first).
Add additional time per month at $75 per 1.5 hr which can be used in short increments.
Many tenured or tenure-track faculty prefer to teach upper level students and leave the introductory courses to the adjuncts. I preferred to teach the introductory courses because I knew that if I taught my students how to use the digital tools they would be more equipped when they met me again in an upper level class. Therefore, I've taught many semesters of introduction to the digital tools to a vast array of students just wanting to a basic understanding of the program.(I walked way from tenure way before retirement age, and with more than 20 years of teaching experience).
I understand that individuals have different learning styles and see problems in their own way. I have developed numerous techniques and metaphors to be able to explain the programs to you in a way that is comprehensible on a human level. See my free video on pizza vs sandwiches (using layers in photoshop vs illustrator)!
Please understand that using the digital tools is not actually the entirety of the graphic design discipline. If you want to learn graphic design, head over to my design coach information. Psst, don't tell anyone but I've been a graphic designer since 1990 and active in the design industry in a variety of ways.