career & business
REASONS YOU MIGHT NEED A DESIGN COACH
YOU ARE SELF-EMPLOYED, A SMALL BUSINESS OWNER, AN ENTREPRENEURIAL UPSTART, AN INTERN OR OTHER PROFESSIONAL
NEEDING FEEDBACK OR INSTRUCTION ON YOUR PROJECT, BRAND OR OTHER VISUAL COMMUNICATION NEEDS.This could include brainstorming, critique, crash course of a digital tool and/or design concepts, or assistance with design concepts or design collateral material.
YOU FEEL STUCK IN A DEAD END POSITION or in that 2 to 5 YRS PAYING YOUR DUES
READY TO UPDATE YOUR PORTFOLIO
FOR THE JOB YOU REALLY WANT!
Like a mouse in a maze or hamster in a wheel, you can't figure a way out. Your portfolio doesn't reflect your talents
or you have an NDA and nothing to show for all that hard work so you need to start from scratch to get yourself to the necessary level.
YOU SUBMIT MANY APPLICATIONS,
BUT NO ONE IS CALLING
And you can't figure out why!
YOU'VE REALIZED YOU WANT TO TAKE A DIFFERENT CREATIVE PATH but your portfolio is stuck in the past OR YOU HAVE ACCEPTED A POSITION THAT IS REQUIRING YOU TO DO MORE DESIGN THAN YOU ARE PREPARED FOR, but you've been barely able to fake it 'til you make it.
WHAT IS A DESIGN COACH?
let's work together
i can help you navigate whatever maze you find yourself challenged with
WHY COACH VAL?
1. A DESIGNER. I pride myself on attention to detail and living a creative life where I'm inspired by design elements everywhere such as texture, line, color, and shapes. My design career probably started with high school yearbook, but was influenced by visual culture exposure to Japanese design in my youth. I've worked in the design field in various roles since 1990. I can share my expertise in design communication at many levels of your needs. Critique and analysis is a very important component of the design process. I'm skilled at identifying issues and articulating in a demeanor that focuses on proactive change to help you attain your goals.
2. A CRITICAL THINKER. I have a unique mindset that balances analytical and creative approaches. I consider myself a lifelong learner and I'm able to help distill information sometimes that seems disparate into a connected pattern. I am able to ask you the right questions to analyze your challenges to develop a plan for career goals or more immediate design objectives.
3. A PUZZLER. Some of my friends call me this and another one refers to me as a Swiss army knife. I love puzzles. I think being able to see patterns and interconnectedness in figuring out a plan of study and career goals is fun. Organizing and staying focused is a skill I can bring to our work relationship. I can help narrow focus or assist in zooming out to see the problem from a different perspective.
4. An ADVOCATE. I have been working with people basically my whole life. I was a day camp counselor in high school and a writing tutor in college. I was a girl scout through silver award and then a leader for 5 years after undergraduate school. I have spent more than two decades working with people. My roles as a professor at small schools involved advising and coaching. I've spent many hours involved in conversations and critiques about problems and solutions as well as analyzing in a comprehensive way to improve design artifacts. Moving beyond "I like it" to practical and tangible rationale. I'm connected to the design industry through my many years in leadership in AIGA. I know what employers are looking for in how portfolios are presented, for example.
5. A COACH. I have worked hard to constantly improve my skills as a listener and assistant to people. I'm the person people will stop on the street to ask directions - while I'm on vacation in an unfamiliar place. I'm the person people will ask for assistance in a random store. I'm the person a server will approach if I'm at a restaurant with a group. I'm the person that disparate groups of people will ask for advice on what to do after a long day at a conference. I've attended teaching conferences and read lots of books. I understand we all have different learning and communication styles. I understand that active learning and humor have a higher level of retention. I understand that the brain needs a break to have an a-ha moment.
SOME PEOPLE JUST HAVE A PRESSING QUESTION AND NEED A PERSON ON CALL TO ASK. WE CAN MEET FOR UP TO AN HOUR IN A VIDEO CONFERENCE, SHARING SCREENS ON MY END OR YOURS.
You have a pressing need and specific project you want to tackle.
Maybe you have an idea for a project or brand and you want some outside feedback. Maybe you are an intern or in an associated field and want a critique regarding the design work you've been tasked to complete. Maybe you've taught yourself some of the programs and you want some tips and tricks or an assignment or maybe you are trained as a designer but really need some rejuvenation without having to go back to school.
We can work together in increments of time. When you run out of time, we can assess how much more time you may need.
10 hours instruction/video conference
Maybe you have a project or you are starting a new job and just need someone to talk to to walk you through your dilemma. From switching platforms or hitting a road block in a specific task you've been assigned, you can reach out to make an appointment at the moment. We will set up a time to talk as soon as we can and your time will be deducted as you go. This includes a 30 minute introductory video call to understand the situation and what you'll need in our coaching call.
On Demand - $100 includes 30 minute intro and approximately an hour and a half of talk time which could be 15 minutes or longer depending on your question.
Each additional 1.5 hr blocks are $75.
Monthly - $500 includes 30 minute intro and a regular check in via email to see what your needs may be for the week. Top priority in scheduling and response time to inquiries. This includes up to about 2 hours of training, troubleshooting, q/a, and demos per week for 4 weeks (or until you use up the total hours, which ever comes first).
Add additional time per month at $75 per 1.5 hr which can be used in short increments.